The Palmerston North Rescue Helicopter was tasked with a mission to Masterton Hospital on Friday afternoon.
A male in his 30’s was working on his car changing the fuel pump and filter assembly – during the work, a spark was emitted by the car’s battery connectors which ignited the spilled fuel.
The man received burns to both hands and his face. The man was treated by Wellington Free Ambulance initially. The Palmerston North Rescue Helicopter was called for further treatment and subsequent transportation to the Burns Unit at Hutt Hospital.